Monday, November 9, 2009

Ifisashi

This Zambian recipe was sent to me by LadyRaven. I must say I had my doubts - it seemed a bit insubstantial but having just harvested some spinach from the garden *preen* we gave it a bash anyway. It is absolutely divine! The soup is lovely, rich and full of flavour, and the combination of spinach and peanuts is genius. Thank you, dear Hila, I hope we will have an opportunity to cook it for you soon :)


What you will need:
2 bunches fresh spinach (washed and chopped)
1 cup raw peanuts (ground) (we cheated and used roasted peanuts cos it was all we had - worked fine)
Salt to taste
1 onion (sliced)
2 medium tomatoes (sliced)
Water
(Oh and we added garlic - as to most things :))


What to do:
In a medium-sized saucepan, boil the onion and tomatoes with the ground peanuts, adding salt to taste and water as needed. After a few minutes, add chopped greens. Stirring occasionally, continue cooking until the peanuts are soft and the mixture has become a fairly thick buttery sauce (15-20 minutes). We changed the method a teeny bit by frying up the onion, tomato and garlic and then adding the water, spinach and peanuts.

To serve:
Serve as a thick soup or with mieliepap as a sauce (goes well with seed loaf or any grain I imagine).

Peanuts are high in protein and low GI, spinach contains lots of vit A, folic acid and iron. Very tasty, very healthy, and cheap to make.

P.S. My friend Liz tells me that her people (she's Zulu) often add peanuts to cooked spinach. I will post pics when technology cooperates

1 comment: