Saturday, August 29, 2009

Coconut ice


One of my favourite things ever, and one of the first things I ever made myself, coconut ice is just delicious. However, it is not normally vegan as it is usually made with condensed milk. Happily, my mom's ancient "Sonskyn Happies" recipe book yielded a cooked recipe which uses milk. Needless to say this was easily replaced with good quality soy milk. I made some for a koekverkoping at a school and took some to work and it was very popular :)

Ingredients (with apologies and thanks to the tannies who compiled Sonskyn Happies for the church or school or something)

4 cups sugar
1 cup soy milk (I used Bokomo So Fresh powdered soy milk)
2 tbsp syrup
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 - 2 cups coconut
pink food colouring (optional)

Method
Mix sugar, milk, syrup and cream of tartar and boil for 10 minutes.
Let cool for about 5 minutes, stir in coconut and stir for a while.
Let the mixture stand for a few minutes (optional)
Pour into a greased baking tray or oven dish.
When it starts setting (about 30 minutes), cut into squares.

Makes 16-20 squares.

Delicious! Don't eat too much if you want to make it to middle age =)

No comments:

Post a Comment