Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Winter vegetable stew

So last night I actually cooked. Yikes! I can't remember how to do it. But in the end I managed to make a (dead plain but tasty) tasty winter veggie stew (for Spring, yeah whatever, it's still cold) and a mountain of mealie rice.

Ingredients

  • 1 onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 turnips
  • 3 potatoes
  • 1/4 Hubbard squash
  • 2 cups of peas (preferably frozen but with the Great Pea Shortage of 2009, canned will do)
  • some oil
  • about 750ml veggie stock (Ina Paarman's veg stock powder is nice)
  • salt, pepper and paprika
Method
Chop onion and sautee in oil. Lob in other veggies except for the peas and add the veggie stock bit by bit. Cook until tenderish and then add peas. Cook through until heated through and serve on mealie rice.

A nice, filling, warming and no-nonsense meal with plenty of protein, beta carotene and potassium. And other stuff I'm too lazy to mention :)

1 comment:

  1. I still dont know how you forget to cook. Thanks though. I really was not up to it and it was tasty (despite the turnips ;) )

    ReplyDelete